The Department of Biosciences and Bioengineering (BSBE) was established in 2001 to act as focal point for research
in the area of Health and Biotechnology.In order to boost the entrepreneurial ecosystem in the country and utilize
the IITK expertise as well as resources, BIRAC under BISS established new world class Bio-incubator at IIT Kanpur.
The Bio-incubator at IITK, offers a whole gamut of incubation facilities and services to the prospective entrepreneurs to convert their innovative ideas into commercially viable products. It incubates ventures in biotechnology, pharmaceuticals and other related areas. Regular events like entrepreneurial talk series, workshops and seminars have offered Bio-incubator a good interface and visibility in the region.
- Business Viability.
- Preferred Areas:Diagnostic, ML/Ai, Waste to Wealth and Agriculture.
What we Offer
- State-of-the-art Lab infrastructure.
- Cost effective office space and in-campus housing.
- Seed funding for product ideas.
- Investor Connect for follow-on funding
One of the flagship schemes of BIRAC is Biotechnology Ignition Grant(BIG). This is designed for early stage innovators to prove the concept of an innovative idea related to Bio-business. The idea may be from any domain including veterinary medicine, poultry science, pharmacology, aquaculture, microbiology, molecular biology, biochemistry, agriculture, medical devices, bioinformatics etc. The idea must have an immediate business possibility. Such ideas may receive up to Rs. 50 Lakhs in grant-in-aid for a period of 18 months.
- The idea must be novel.
- The idea must have commercial potential.
- The BIG grant applicant must be either incubated at a Govt. recognized technology incubator.
- Individuals such as researchers, scholars, entrepreneurs can apply
- Startups less than 3 year old
Sustainable Entrepreneurship and Enterprise Development (SEED) fund is unique opportunity for startups in Biodomain to move forward in the business. BIRAC SEED fund supports up to Rs. 30 Lakh against equity. The basic idea of BIRAC SEED Fund is providing capital assistance to start ups with new and meritorious ideas, innovations and technologies in biotech space. This would enable some of these start-ups to scale up through follow-on funding.
- Commercial Potential.
- The start up registered under companies Act 2013 and having at least 51% shareholding by Indian citizens